Saturday 29 September 2012

Harvest sheaf

I made my first harvest sheaf 4 years ago now. It didn't look great and I wasn't confident in the quality of the bread so no one got to eat it.
The second one I made was very bulky and didn't look as good as I wanted but it was edible.
I didn't make one last year, it all seemed a bit of a hassle.
With my lovely new mixer, I decided to give it a go, maybe one last time.



It was all made a lot easier because I made the dough in one batch where as with the bread machine I had to do it in two batches.





Covered in egg and milk wash.


Bake at 220 for 15 minutes then take it out, lower oven to 180 and put more egg wash on. Bake for another 30-35 mins.

This took me a couple of hours from start to finish but, to me, it's what they probably call "a showstopper" on the telly.
When I was a little kid, in primary school one year, we had one. I don't remember the whys and wherefores but I remember it, it was probably much bigger than mine because I know the teachers cut it up and shared it around the whole school.
I'll take this to church tomorrow and do the same thing.

x




No comments:

Post a Comment