Thursday 13 September 2012

My signature bread

Several years ago, when I first was given a bread machine, I wanted to be able to make a foccacia.
This bread isn't strictly speaking a foccacia, it just seemed to develop into something else.
What guided me along the way was people's responses to it, if they made happy noises about it I was knew I was moving in the right direction.
Some people call it "Maggie Bread". I'm going to (in the style of the Great British Bake off) call it my signature bread.


I take 2 garlic cloves, some rosemary and a teaspoon of rock salt and give them a good bashing in a pestle and mortar.

.

 The rock salt really helps to break down the garlic and rosemary but regular salt works too.


Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

In the bread machine (or just in a bowl if you don't have one) put 270ml of warm water, 1 tablespoon of sugar and the seasoned oil, 3 bread machine cups (500 grams) of strong bread flour and 2 teaspoons of fast acting dried yeast.

Sadly, my trusty bread machine is on it's last legs. I used it to do the initial mix and then take it out. If you are lucky enough to have a fully functioning bread machine, just put it on the dough setting.


It's at this stage, I find Chris useful to do the kneading.


For 10 minutes.


If you've seen bread made on the TV, then you've probably seen this technique of stretching out the dough then pulling it back on itself. 


Here's Chris getting a bit cheffy.


I use a round 8 inch silicone cake tray.


I punch the dough into the tray, spreading the dough right up to the sides.


Using a clean finger, poke the bread....a lot.
I drizzle Tescos finest garlic infused oil but regular olive oil will do.
Sprinkle with rock salt.


Now leave in a warmish place to prove.
I don't bother to cover it as it is well oiled.


At least half an hour later.
Then in a preheated oven at 220 for the first 10 minutes then down to 200 for another 10-15 minutes, depending on how brown you like it.


Happy baking.

x



2 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous, I must try it and I have the same bread maker, so hopefully less chance of messing it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to know if it works out for you Hayley.

      Delete